This blog will provide tutorial articles on various topics in serious science. Curious but cautious readers may be interested in what to expect, so here are a few guidelines:
- I’m aiming at people who want something a bit more substantial than the popular science market, so, yes, there will be some (in some cases, quite a few) equations;
- An index to the posts is provided – see the ‘Index’ link on the left.
- The easiest way to keep up to date with new posts and comments is to subscribe to the RSS feeds or for email updates (see links on left).
- Comments are encouraged, so there are no restrictions on who can leave a comment, though comments are moderated since there is a lot of spam out there.
- Mathematics is written using WordPress’s Latex feature. Latex can also be used in comments. Although Latex can be used to write entire books, it is only the mathematical typesetting features that are used here. For example, the quadratic formula can be written in Latex as . There are many web pages dealing with Latex, but a good introduction is here, where you should look only at the bits on mathematics.
- Pages containing a lot of mathematics were written entirely in Latex and then converted to WordPress format using the Python program Latex2wp. For the most part, Latex2wp “just works”, although to get the background colour of the equations to match the background colour of the pages, a small tweak was needed in the style file.
- These blogs are a result of my working through several textbooks on various aspects of physics and mathematics. The pages are essentially my own notes that I took when reading these books, and my own solutions to the problems and exercises in the books. A list of the books I’ve used is given on the References page (see the link in the Index section on the left). Although this blog tries to provide self-contained summaries of topics and problems, there is no substitute for a good, coherent coverage of a complex topic so I’d strongly advise getting hold of these books, or ones like them, if you want to study a subject in depth.
If you have any suggestions for topics to include, or any other comments or criticisms, please do leave a comment to this message.